Friday, March 1, 2013

Leaving Home to Go Home

It's Spring Break Folks, and I'm coming home!

Over the last four years, the word home has taken on a completely new meaning in my life.  I remember the day I left home in Pennsylvania to come out to this flat and cold place full of unfamiliar faces.  Four years ago, Marion, Indiana was the farthest thing from home I could ever imagine.  And today, I feel completely known and understood and loved right here in Beckett Hall.  This sad little town has grown on me, and I can't imagine what it will be like to leave for good in only two months.  I need to remind myself that home can be created wherever you are, and as Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros say, "home is wherever I'm with you."  I want to soak up all the goodness from both homes over the next two months, but this coming week, I am focusing on Pennsylvania.

I am not really looking forward to the ten hour drive tomorrow by myself, but I plan to make the most of this time with the usual musical hodgepodge of Celine Dion (don't judge), Kelly Clarkson, Ke$ha, Adele, Taylor Swift, and the rest of the gang.  Without fail, I always lose my voice by the end of the drive to/from school.

I have some lofty goals for the next eight days, so we'll see how well I am able to keep up with my own schedule... I've got lots of wedding planning to take care of, a fiance who needs cooking lessons, family and friends to spend time with, a research paper to (hopefully) write, and Jillian Michaels videos waiting for me on my dresser.  But really, I just want to spend every second I can with the people I love.  I don't think I have wanted to go home so badly since my freshman year of college.

For those of you who are also on spring break, I hope this will be a great time of rest and preparation for the end of the semester.  Remember to spend time daily with God and take advantage of this break, no matter how many things are on your schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment